The DOs & DON'Ts When Falsely Accused
Has your child called the cops or CPS – on you?!

Here’s the DOs and DON’Ts when falsely accused:

A WARRANT. This waives your right under illegal search and seizure under the Constitution. This will
allow them to come into your home at ANY TIME and search and seize your children or belongings.

·        DON'T SPEAK TO ANYONE ABOUT YOUR CASE without first consulting a lawyer. Everything
you say can and will be used against you. If you cannot afford a lawyer one will be appointed to you if
you are arrested. No attorney will be appointed to you if this is a civil case (family law). In some states,
attorneys are appointed to parents in juvenile dependency court. Contact the local Bar Association or
legal information service nearest you for this information.

all such contact will be construed as an attempt to bribe or threaten the alleged victim into silence or

·        DO GO ATTORNEY SHOPPING. Seek out an attorney who is experienced in child abuse cases
(specifically false cases).

·        DON'T TURN TO DRUGS OR ALCOHOL. Such substances are habit-forming and are depressants.
They can cause you to jeopardize your case.

·        DO KEEP ACTIVE. Physical and social activities are healthy and will assist in keeping depression
at bay.

·        DO KEEP A DAILY JOURNAL. A journal should document what you do, where you go and people
who see you or are with you. Keep receipts of purchases for evidence of activities. Go through canceled
checks, photos, letters and holiday experiences to back-date a journal. Try to reconstruct everything
you did and where you were at the time of the allegation. Give a copy of the journal to your lawyer; it
may provide evidence.

·        DO STRIP-SEARCH THE ACCUSING CHILD'S ROOM, if the child lived in your home. It can
provide proof of your child's activities and sexual and social habits. Look for notes, letters, diaries,
photos, telephone numbers, drug or sexual paraphernalia. Give copies to your lawyer.

·        DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.  If possible, tape record or video-tape all conversations with anyone
involved in your case, as well as any visits you may have with your child. Federal law says that it is legal
to make tape recordings as long as one person being taped consents to it. Some states say otherwise;
California is one of them. To legally tape record anyone in California (state law) you must advise them
that you are going to tape record the conversation and that if they do not wish to be taped then they
have the right to remain silent. If you are unable to tape conversations or visits, then document the
situation as it is happening or as soon afterwards as possible. Be sure to include as much detail as

·        START A PAPER TRAIL.  Every time you talk to Social Services, document what was said and
write a letter to that person asking them to confirm or deny the contents of the letter within 10 calendar
days. In your letter state that "failure to confirm or deny the contents of the letter will constitute an
agreement that the information contained therein is accurate". Send the letter by certified mail or
Return Receipt Requested. Faxes can sent as long as you have verification that the fax was sent and
received. Make sure that you cc: copies of all these letters to your attorney. Advise your attorney (in
writing) to send copies of the letter to County Counsel, other attorney's involved in the case and to the
judge IF your attorney feels that it is appropriate and that it might be to your advantage.

·        ARM YOURSELF - WITH POWER.  Knowledge is power. Knowing how the system works and
what is required of social workers can help you put them on the defensive when you force them to do
their job properly!

Call your local CPS and request a copy of their Policies and Procedures. It
contains the regulations that CPS is supposed to follow. Read the manual and
document any violations. Give your attorney a copy. In court, your attorney
can basically "put CPS on trial", forcing them to defend their actions. This
takes the focus off you. If your attorney puts you on the stand, the focus
should be on your concern for your child (i.e., regression, poor grades,
behavior changes, etc.). This strategy will not guarantee a win, but it can
change "the flavor of the court" in your favor.

You can also fax copies of the violations (along with a brief cover letter) to the agencies listed below.
This could start an internal investigation into your case.

  • Children's Operation Bureau; Attn.: Bill Lamb; Fax (916) 445-2898 or (916) 445-2836
  • US Commission of Child & Family Welfare; Attn.: Kevin Costigan; Fax (202) 401-5539
  • Call the Administration for Children & Families and ask where to send or fax your letter for their
    attention in this matter. The phone number is: (202) 401-9200.

·        LEARN TO TALK THEIR LINGO.  CPS uses key phrases like: "indicates, seems to think, appears,
could be" and others to gain an advantage in court. Learn to use their key words in your everyday
language so it becomes natural and then use them to your advantage on the witness stand. Their use of
these phrases is no accident. They KNOW how it will look to the judge. The judge won't see their
statements as implications and opinions, but will accept them as facts instead. Whatever you do, DON'T
LIE but DO use their key words to your advantage. You MUST be better prepared than they are!

·        CHECK YOUR COURT RECORDS.  Check all court documents for errors. Simple things like names
and birth dates are often wrong. List all errors and give your attorney a copy. It establishes a pattern of
errors, which may be used in your favor (i.e., social worker incompetence).

Find opinions stated as facts, i.e. "The child was not unhappy, indicating he did not wish to return
home." This is an opinion. The social worker has no idea how your child acts when he/she is happy, sad,
scared, confused, tired or sick. The opinion didn't prove anything, but a judge may see it as fact: "The
child is happy at the foster home and does not want to go home." The judge will not side with you if this
opinion isn't clarified!

List every opinion that is presented as fact and give your attorney a copy.
Ask your attorney to clarify them in court. It might be enough to tip the
scales in your direction. If nothing else, CPS will have some explaining to
do in court!

·        WHO'S SAYING WHAT? If you are involved with CPS, you have the legal right to look through
your case file (and to have copies of it). Social services may tell you that you must have your attorney
request that information in writing. (It's not entirely legal for them to do that, but you don't really have
many options here.) If that happens, ask your attorney to request a copy of ALL case notes and any
other documentation that CPS has against you. Ask your attorney to give you copies of ALL information
that is obtained so that you can list the errors and omissions in the documentation. (By law, CPS is
required to list every contact they have had with you, including all phone calls, but they seldom
document it unless they can use it against you.) This step may help you in your defense.

·        MAKE THEM 'PUT IT IN WRITING'! Any time CPS tries to force you to do something that is
not in their plan (i.e. Reunification Plan or Family Maintenance Plan) tell them to put it in writing.
(Example: CPS tells you that you cannot talk to your child about the past or the future.) They will
probably tell you, "I don't have to put it in writing. I told you what to do." At that point, simply inform
them that you are not legally obligated to do as they requested unless you have a court order. Make
sure that you tell them that you do not feel that those actions would be in your child's "best interests".
(Some attorney's will tell you to go along with CPS anyway. They want to keep the peace and they don't
want you to make the judge angry. There is some justification to this way of thinking.)

·        GET FRESH BLOOD.  Most attorneys work within their own county. Keep in mind that your
attorney must face the same attorneys and judges day after day. They all know what to expect from
each other and what kind of a response to expect from the court for various situations. Judges can
prevent attorneys from providing their clients with the full benefit of their strategies and expertise, so
get some fresh blood in the courtroom. Try to hire an attorney that is NOT from your county. If
possible, hire an attorney from the capital city. Why?

  1. The judge has no idea how your new attorney operates or where your attorney is from. The judge
    will wonder why you didn't choose someone local and will usually put his "best face" forward. (The
    judge may think he/she is "being watched" or "evaluated", especially if the judge discovers that
    your attorney is from the capital city!)
  2. The judge will generally allow far more latitude in the trial to your new attorney. (This is definitely
    an advantage.)
  3. Opposing counsel won't know what to expect either and it can shake them up enough so they will
    make mistakes that make CPS look bad. (It's happened before!)
  4. The child's attorney doesn't know which way to go and will probably "straddle the fence" through
    the entire trial or switch sides in support of the defense. After all, the child's attorney wants to be
    on the WINNING side. It looks better that way!

·        STACK THE DECK.  Right now you probably have at least two attorneys fighting against your one
attorney. In most cases the attorney for the child will side with CPS as long as they look like they are on
the winning side. Keep in mind that your child's attorney is getting one-sided information. They are not
talking to you. They are not asking you what you think is best for your child. Chances are, they aren't
doing much talking to your child either. How can that attorney possibly know what is best for your child
if he/she only spends an hour or two with your child? They can't. They rely on the information from the
therapists (usually paid for and appointed by the county) and the information from the social workers.

You need ALL the help you can get. Two or more attorneys in your corner will
certainly increase your chances of success. If there is a stepparent involved in
the child's upbringing, have the stepparent declared a "defacto parent" (this
entitles them to have an attorney, one may not be appointed for them, but at
least the step-parent can get legal representation and this is another "ace up
your sleeve"). If there is a grandparent that plays a very significant role in the
child's life (i.e. grandma provides day care while parents work), they MAY be
granted "defacto" status as well.

If there are any ex-spouses (child's natural parent) in the picture, he/she MAY be willing to have
counsel appointed for them (or hire an attorney) with the understanding that all of you are WORKING
TOGETHER FOR THE GOOD OF THE CHILD. It doesn't matter if the natural parents hate each other
-- the child is all that matters and those negative feelings MUST be put aside. CPS uses the strategy of
divide and conquer. You must provide a UNITED front in order to defeat their efforts.

Even if just the natural parents are involved, you can still stack the deck in your favor. Make certain
you have TWO separate attorneys and that they are willing to work together. There is a great
advantage to this. Chances are, one attorney has been on the case since close to the very beginning.
The second attorney often comes in much later. The first attorney should already know more about
your character, your efforts and so forth. What one attorney misses during questioning (including
yourself) the other attorney can cover. Together they can bring out points that one attorney alone
might overlook. Double your chances of winning, get an additional attorney!

·        HELP YOUR ATTORNEY.  The more you do for your attorney, the better armed your attorney
will be, and the easier it will be to win. When parents take an active role in their own defense their
chances of winning are greatly increased. Don't just pay your attorney and walk away expecting the
attorney to do the rest. Your attorney cannot paddle your life boat for you unless you inflate it first.
Help your attorney defend you. Do your own research, ask questions, and keep your attorney informed.

Keep a log of everything concerning your case (phone calls, research, etc.). Find cases similar to your
own that have been won, make copies of your findings, and give a copy to your attorney. Make it easier
for your attorney to defend you by preparing your attorney well.

·        PROVE YOUR CHARACTER.  Get Affidavits of Character from friends,
co-workers and clergy. You can take them to the Clerk's office and request that
they be attached to your file. Once they are attached to your file, the judge is
mandated BY LAW to read them. The Affidavits of Character cannot be "thrown
out of court" nor do they have to be entered into court as "evidence". You can
take these steps without the assistance of your attorney. Another advantage to
this is that it allows your friends and co-workers to "testify" for you without
having to be subjected to a cross-examination by the prosecution. It is strictly
a one-sided view, in YOUR favor!

·        KNOW YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.  The Bill of Rights, part of the United States
Constitution, is the law. Unfortunately, “we the people” often don't know what our rights are. We have,
through our own ignorance, allowed the state courts and "the system" to strip us of those rights and we
never raised a voice in protest. How did it happen? It happened one little step at a time, year after year,
until the system is as it stands today. We can reverse this trend by demanding our rights. We can
challenge the laws of the state, court rulings and "county policies" that have been declared local law. We
the people have a duty to change the system when it no longer works. These are not idle words -- they
are the American dreams and ideals we grew up believing in. We can't rely on others to protect our
rights, we must do it ourselves; the cavalry is not going to rush in to save us. Learn your Constitution
and keep a list of the rights that were violated in your case. You can later use this information for civil
suits if you wish to proceed in that manner.

BROKEN RECORD. When any government official wants to
question your child, he/she can answer each question with something to this effect: "According to the
Privacy Act of 1974, I don't have to answer any questions without my parents being present."

If they proceed to question your child without you being present, they are in direct violation of the law
and can be sued for it. The state receives Federal Money, and their employees are bound by the Privacy
Act of 1974.

·        CAN I SUE? Yes. Some states are changing laws so that social workers can be sued for violations of
civil rights. In California social workers will have the same immunity that police officers have. Social
workers previously had absolute (total) immunity regardless of their actions. Civil law suits are forming
all over the country. Some are class action suits, and some are single suits. You can find out what suits
are forming near you by calling various parents and family rights organizations (VOCAL, MASA,
Fathers For Their Children, Protective Parents, Injustices In The Court, and so on). Who can be sued?
The state, the county, social workers, police officers, foster parents, and sometimes judges and the
federal government. It won't be easy, but your fight will ultimately help the next generation and each
generation after that. By making the effort now, you are helping your children avoid the same dangers
when they become parents themselves.

·        CONTACT YOUR COUNTY GRAND JURY.  Many Grand Jury investigations of Child Protective
Services are being done. The investigations are confidential; the public and CPS may be unaware of
ongoing investigations. It is important to notify your county Grand Jury if CPS is violating your rights or
not following their regulations. The Grand Jury may require a certain number of complaints before they
will take action; your letter could be the one that will make the difference. Contacting the Grand Jury
may help you and many others as well.
People who will help you when you deal with
Child Protective Servicies: