All rights reserved.
Mark Hutten, M.A.
Re: Working with Your Child's School

How can I work with my child’s school?

If you think your youngster has ADHD, or a teacher raises concerns, you may be able to request that the school
conduct an evaluation to determine whether he or she qualifies for special education services.

Start by speaking with your youngster's teacher, school counselor, or the school's student support team, to begin an
evaluation. Also, each state has a Parent Training and Information Center and a Protection and Advocacy Agency that
can help you get an evaluation. A team of professionals conducts the evaluation using a variety of tools and
measures. It will look at all areas related to the youngster's disability.

Once your youngster has been evaluated, he or she has several options, depending on the specific needs. If special
education services are needed and your youngster is eligible under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the
school district must develop an "individualized education program" specifically for your youngster within 30 days.

If your youngster is considered not eligible for special education services—and not all kids with ADHD are eligible—he
or she still can get "free appropriate public education," available to all public-school kids with disabilities under Section
504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, regardless of the nature or severity of the disability.

For more information on Section 504 visit the
U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights which enforces
Section 504 in programs and activities that receive Federal education funds.

Visit the
Department of Education programs for more information about kids with disabilities.

Transitions can be difficult. Each school year brings a new teacher and new schoolwork, a change that can be
especially hard for a youngster with ADHD who needs routine and structure. Consider telling the teachers that your
youngster has ADHD when he or she starts school or moves to a new class. Additional support will help your youngster
deal with the transition.